Friday, July 22, 2011

IVF Embryo Transfer

Can it really be true?  Embryo transfer has happened.  It seems like we have been thinking, planning and praying about this for months.  Then it all seems to culminate in one quick procedure and now I'm home resting and praying that this new little embryo that has been placed in my uterus will turn into the little baby that we have longed for.  It's all so surreal.  I can't believe it.  We are both walking in a place of being so excited that I am potentially pregnant!  It's a hard line to walk though because I know we are both scared to death of being disappointed.  This not working.  But we DO KNOW that God is bigger than all of this and He is a God of miracles and has our best interest in mind. 

Transfer day went really well.  We had a consult with the doctor before hand in whch he showed us the picture of our little embryo.  So amazing!!  I think it looked more like me personally.  HA!  Then he explained that the lining around the embryo which is called the "zona" was pretty thick and that they would like to do a procedure called "Assisted Hatching".  This is where they take a laser device and make a little perforation in the lining in order to give it a head start in the hatching process.  Since we only had one embryo he wanted to do everything possible to make this a success.  We were surprised by this new decision because my age range and history did not make me a candidate so we had not even thought about having to make this decision.  But of course we wanted to do everything we can to make this work.  I then went into the operating room and started chugging water down.  You have to have a full bladder for this procedure as they use a ultrasound to visualize what they are doing.  This was by far the hardest part of the whole procedure.  I thought I was going to die of having to pee.  But as soon as the embryologist walked into the room carrying our little embryo I completely forgot about that and started crying.  It was such a neat moment.  He then inserted that into the catheter and Jeff was able to film the the little embryo being injected into my uterus.  UNBELIEVABLE!!  Who gets to witness the actual moment of getting pregnant??  We are still blown away.  We then went to a hotel and I was on bed rest that day and night.  I have now been resting at home as they recommend a period of about 3 days of bed rest.

Enjoy the footage of our day as well as the amazing moment of placing the embryo inside my uterus!!


August 1st I will go in for blood work to determine if I am pregnant.  It will be a long week and a half wait.  In the meantime I am continuing to get injections in my rear of progesterone as well as taking different pills and supplements to make sure the uterus lining is strong and healthy.  If I find that I am pregnant I will continue doing the progesterone injections for about 6 weeks as well as add another injections of Hepron.  This is a blood thinning medicine because I have a blood clotting disorder.  I will continue that injection every day of my entire pregnancy.

Whew!!  So many emotions.  But God is giving grace each day.  Every new injection and procedure that was coming up I didn't think I would have the strength to go through, but God has been so faithful to give me the HUGE amounts of Grace that were needed at the time.  I am amazed at my strength.  And I continue to adore Jeff more every day because of his continued encouragement and nurturing towards me.  He has done amazing with giving me my injections.  I couldn't do this with anyone else!  He is my man!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment