Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Darn pine needles!

I just spent the day taking down all of our christmas decorations.  The Christmas tree that we chopped down ourselves was way past its prime.  Pine needles were raining down on the living room.  As I walked around and around and around the tree unwrapping the chrimas lights (trying not to get motion sickness) I did a lot of reflecting.  Thanksgiving through Christmas is one of my favorite times.  I love all of the tradition and special moments that make up that month.  Everything is so intentional.  It's filled with celebrations and family.  Doing special things for one another.  It's filled with beauty.  So many lights sparkling and decorations that you only get to see once a year.  The foods are different.  Foods that are so special we only dust off the recipes once a year.  It's just an immensly special and intentional time.  And I lavish in it.  I try to take it all in and just enjoy every moment.  So when it's time to take it all down and move into the harshness of the winter of January it's easy to get depressed.  Happens every year.  I get the end of holidays blues. 

But in the slow circle around the tree today I determined to do things different come the new year.  Why do we do all of those special things one month out of the year?  I don't make New Years Resolutions but I did decide that I am going to be intent on making "intentional, special" moments all the time.  Find beauty in the harshness of January and February.  Cook special meals for Jeff and I to enjoy.  Maybe do a surprise gift here and there.  Make more moments for being with family and friends.  I want every month to feel like it's special and joyous.  And I feel it's even more crucial for us to focus on this as we are waiting on God to bring us our little child.  It will be easy for us to feel down in the waiting.  Easy for us to get hopeless.  But I want to do my best to stay focused on God and each moment of my life.  Not to let days pass by without notice because I am waiting for something better to come down the road. 

I am expecting good things in 2012.  Excecting God's provision in every area of our lives.  Expecting Jeff and I to continue to grow closer and stronger in our marriage.  Expecting creative ideas to help us financially provide for our needs.  I am expecting our family to grow with a little child.  BRING IT ON 2012!!

No comments:

Post a Comment